Creating a sustainability champions programme is an important step in implementing an effective carbon reduction programme
Sustainability champions will help you to deliver improvements to your organisation by promoting and implementing actions to achieve a reduction in your carbon footprint.
There are other benefits to establishing a sustainability champions programme including:
- cost savings associated with energy, waste, water and travel
• changing behaviour and attitudes towards sustainability in your workplace
• team building
• developing staff skills
• improving productivity through a better working environment and a more engaged workforce.
The Planet Mark’s 7 top tips to creating an effective ‘green champions’ programme are:
1. Focus on the quick wins first – It will encourage further action, show early success and perhaps attract new champions.
2. Take small steps – tackling sustainability is an ongoing process and you are more likely to achieve goals if they are manageable. Small but regular steps to progress are better than no progress at all.
3. Spread the load – realistically, certain members of your green team will take on more work than others. Ensure that this is recognised and that the responsibility doesn’t fall on to just a few people.
4. Set realistic timeframes – actions to reduce your carbon footprint should not feel onerous. One action in any given timeframe is achievable and can be maintained.
5. Stick to your strategy – ensure that initiatives match your sustainability strategy. Colleagues may want to tackle issues such as waste but if your focus for the year is energy, steer actions accordingly.
6. Be creative – encourage creative ideas and make it clear that this is not just a cost-cutting exercise but a way to increase the value of your business while having a positive impact on the planet.
7. Reward – Offer incentives for good ideas, achieving targets or regular participation.
What to find out more about how to set up and manage a sustainability champions programme effectively?Download our free guide.