Janitorial Express, one of London’s leading janitorial supply houses and a member of the Jangro Group, the largest independent Janitorial Group in the UK has achieved certification to The Planet Mark sustainability programme.
Upon receiving certification to the programme, Peter Clenshaw, Operations Director commented; “Having The Planet Mark certification has supported our commitment to ISO 14001:2015 and has assisted greatly in us achieving ISO accreditation again this year. The Planet Mark has also created an elevated awareness to sustainability at Janitorial Express which has actually generated a ‘buzz’ with staff ‘buying in’ to the concept whilst looking for new initiatives with regards to reducing our carbon footprint.”
“It is with particular joy that we are able to present Janitorial Express with The Planet Mark certification” Steve Malkin, CEO & Founder commented. Sustainability is fast becoming an intrinsic element of its operations and is helping to ensure delivery of the highest quality service. It is an absolute pleasure to be certifying such a motivated, knowledgeable and passionate team.”
In addition to obtaining certification to the programme, Janitorial Express recently boosted their fight against plastic waste with a range of new products and packaging made from plant plastics, reducing the amount of plastic going to landfill. The Islington based janitorial supplier also stocks eco-friendly cleaning chemicals. Offering concentrates as an alternative, to prevent unnecessary emissions from the delivery of liquid goods.
This is Janitorial Express’ first year of business carbon footprint reporting. It calculated the emissions of its Islington office operations for the year ending December 2018 and set a target to reduce emissions by 5% annually. This year’s report includes emissions from electricity, water, waste, fleet and printing paper.
First year certification to The Planet Mark is based on the commitment to continuous improvement in sustainability in its business operations by measuring and reducing its carbon footprint and engaging its stakeholders.
Janitorial Express has achieved certification to The Planet Mark by showing good practice in sustainability including:
- Measuring carbon emissions from buildings, waste, water, travel and procurement
- Storing 260 tonnes of CO2 by protecting one acre of endangered rainforest through the charity Cool Earth
- Committing to engage employees and suppliers to drive improvement
- Investing in the Eden Project to support education on climate change
Specific measures Janitorial express has been advised to implement to meet its 2019 targets include:
- Conducting ‘energy audits’ will help identify where most energy is being used and potential wastage from equipment, lights and heat loss. Investigate the installation of LED, T5 and sensor lighting and the upgrade of heating controls
- Buying paper from sustainable forests or recycled content. Ask for FSC or PEFC branded paper as a minimum – ideally with the EU Eco label
- Arrange safe and fuel-efficient driving training for all drivers. Plan driver routes to finish at their homes